Geny's Wholesale was established in Nashville in the early 1920s but had its roots in Middle Tennessee long before that. In 1858, Leon and John Geny arrived in Nashville from Alsace, France to design the gardens at the Belmont Estate of Joseph Acklen.
When the magnificent project was completed, John Geny set out to teach French in the local area, but what in hindsight appears to be a stroke of good luck, he could not find a teaching position. So Geny launched his own business in 1868.
The first greenhouse was built on land received as a wedding present at Warren and Jackson streets. Additional sales were handled at Market Square where the Farmers Market now stands.
Geny's Wholesale began by serving the growing retail florist market and eventually opened four retail shops in the area and wholesale locations in Jackson, TN, and Athens, AL.
Today, Geny's Wholesale is still owned and operated by the Geny family with a newer generation John Geny serving as president. The company moved in 2004 to its present location.